Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Book Candy

Book Candy.  This is a term that book sellers frequently toss about.  I define it as "A book that I need to devour only for my pleasure, to hell with what a reviewer or my fellow booksellers may or may not say."

I have two series that I put into this category.... The Stephanie Plum Number series, deftly written by Janet Evanovich. The humor-filled mysteries features Stephanie Plum as a misfit bonds woman who goes through cars faster than Hogwarts went through Defence Against the Dark Arts professors. This series got me (and my then fiance) through those trying months just prior to our wedding. Number 17 in the series hasn't been announced yet, but I'm hoping that it will here to kick off summer.

I don't remember how I came to read Lauren Willig's The Secret History of the Pink Carnation but I remember thinking, what a breathe of fresh air!  Historical fiction that is a hoot & a half!  A current day grad student whose research unveils a collection of botanical spies that reigned during the Napoleonic Wars. Both the present day story as well as the historical are clever -- part mystery, a bit romance, and a lot of humor.  I just finished the newest in the series, The Orchid Affair which reads like a PG-13  retelling of "The Sound of Music" and I mean that in a good way!  

I firmly believe that book candy is an important part of everyone's book diet, indulge!

-- Bookseller #4

No comments:

Post a Comment